The Inner Harbor is a historic seaport, tourist attraction, and landmark of Baltimore, Maryland. It was described by the Urban Land Institute in 2009 as “the model for post-industrial waterfront redevelopment around the world.” The Inner Harbor is located at the mouth of Jones Falls, creating the wide and short northwest branch of the Patapsco River. The district includes any water west of a line drawn between the foot of President Street and the American Visionary Art Museum.
The name “Inner Harbor” is used not just for the water but for the surrounding area of the city, with approximate street boundaries of President Street to the east, Lombard Street to the north, Greene Street to the west, and Key Highway on the south. The harbor is within walking distance of Camden Yards and M&T Bank Stadium. A water taxi connects passengers to Fells Point, Canton, and Fort McHenry.
While Baltimore has been a major U.S. seaport since the 18th century, the historically shallow water of the Inner Harbor (before manipulation through dredging) was not conducive to large ships or heavy industry. These were concentrated in Locust Point, Fell’s Point, and Canton. In the mid-20th century, Baltimore, MD, suffered from the economic decline of restructuring common to many industrial cities in the United States. Old harbors were abandoned with the arrival of container ships after World War II. Later, the old docks were adapted as focal points to reconnect cities with their waterfronts and develop public spaces, tourism, business, and housing.
During the 1940s, John H. Threadgill, the head of the Steamship Trade Association, initiated a study for a cross-harbor bridge. A bridge across the Inner Harbor of Baltimore was one idea that was discussed frequently. In his capacity as head of the association, Threadgill ultimately recommended that the concept of a cross-harbor bridge be abandoned because Baltimore relied heavily on a shipping trade and feared that the bridge would negatively impede the flow of shipping traffic at the Port of Baltimore. Threadgill was named head of Baltimore’s Port Commission during the 1950s. EZ Bed Bug Exterminator Baltimore
The waterfront was gradually transformed with award-winning parks and plazas surrounded by office buildings, hotels, and leisure attractions. This reversed the city’s decline and became a model for an urban renaissance worldwide. The renewal of Baltimore’s Inner Harbor area began with the adoption of the 33-acre (13 ha) Charles Center project by the City Council and Mayor Thomas D’Alesandro in March 1958. Between 1958 and 1965, Baltimore renewed the center of its business district by rebuilding Charles Center with office buildings, hotels, and retail shops.
Check out different neighborhoods like Little Italy